Sunday, September 16, 2007

TMC Goes Respectfully Emo

Here's a live video of Antony & the Johnsons performing "Hope There's Someone." I'm not sure if Kate turned me on to this song or if it's a random one I downloaded from an mp3 blog, but I've rediscovered it thanks to a fresh Ipod synch-ing. Regardless, it strikes a resonant chord. The bare piano accompaniment beneath his quivering voice is perfect for conveying the human fear of being alone of which he sings:

"Oh I'm scared of the middle place / Between light and nowhere / I don't want to be the one / Left in there, left in there."


Other listeners compare his voice with that of an old blues singer, tumbling strains and all, so don't be fooled by his... eccentric... appearance. I'll post the mp3 up here as soon as I have the opportunity and hope to check out some more Antony & the Johnsons. Until next time... hope there's someone... reading this and more.

1 comment:

Kate said...

is this emo? not sure . . . but it is pretty crazy. the cover of the album it comes from is a picture of one of andy warhol's tranny friends on her death bed. which is totally not creepy. but she does look pretty damn good.