Thursday, January 31, 2008

Teddy Thompson, Folkin' Good.

Awhile ago, I talked a lot about the Jaymay show I went to, but let's talk more about the headliner Teddy Thompson. He's son of famous guitarist Richard Thompson and sings with a bit of country flavor. I think Teddy Thompson is proof that there's huge numbers of talented musicians out there that never quite see the spotlight and only upon chance do people like me get a chance to discover them.

Some fun Teddy Thomspon facts:
1.He is good friends with Rufus and Martha Wainwright, as they both share the second generation musician stigma; both of Teddy's (as well as Rufus and Martha's) parents are folk-rock artists.
2. Rolling Stone Magazine listed Teddy's father, Richard Thompson, as #19 Best Guitarist of All Time, which begs the question... Why haven't I heard of him before??
3. Teddy contributed two songs to the Brokeback Mountain soundtrack, one of his own and one with Rufus Wainwright.
4. He also participated in the famous Leonard Cohen tribute film, Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man.

Here's Teddy Thompson with two songs on the Jools Holland show, both which he played at the show I saw. "Everybody Move it" is a favorite. I also stumbled upon Teddy playing "One Man Guy" with siblings Martha and Rufus Wainwright that's pretty good. Enjoy.



No comments: