Saturday, May 31, 2008

French Toast

Dear faithful, steamy TMC readers. I haven't been posting around these parts lately, and while Jess has turned a tour-de-force one woman performance, I do apologize for the reckless abandonment. I've spent the past five months in France, and while the French may sell themselves convincingly as the world's cultural capital, the country's taste in music is dubious in the very best of lights. Techno remix of Seven Nation Army? Check. Cheesy new-age "classical" concerts at the opera? Check. Awarding of literally the highest honors in the nation to Kylie Minogue and Celine Dion (not that they don't both have their moments...)? Check. I suppose this doesn't mean that there isn't mind-blowingly good music happening all over France, but I think some of the Eurovisionesque music has made that hard to find.

To give you a taste of what is the toast of France just at the moment, the following videos are currently both top-ten in the country:

What Planet U On? by Luciana and Bodyrox. I know nothing about them. This doesn't necessarily sadden me, though the actual planet sequence at the beginning is guilty pleasure-y .


Beeper by Kid Sister. Kid Sister is a Chicagoan rapper and she is definitely the high point of this song. The ironic beeper part drives me nuts. That said, the Kid Sister I've run into state-side is much more fun.
Download: Pro Nails by Kid Sister featuring Kanye West.
Buy Pro Nails here.

No comments: