Monday, December 3, 2007

The Gospel of Matt

... Matt Berninger, that is. I can't find a good YouTube video of the full song by The National, an Ohio-based indie rock band led by baritone Berninger, but the acoustic teaser of the song is a pretty good representation. The sailboat performance? Somewhat poignant, but you can be the judge. I believe the clip was recorded early in the making of Boxer, their fourth album release, because at 38 seconds, you can hear the guitarist slip up a little in a chord change. It's nice to see someone playing a nylon-string too.

The National's Boxer was heavily praised by the likes of Pitchfork and Rolling Stone, probably why I brushed over it in the first place. Thanks to shuffle, I was able to remedy my mistake. But hey... Pitchfork did love Deerhoof and I'll never understand why.



And for anyone that cares... download "The Gospel" by The National.

No comments: